Tuesday, August 7, 2012

July-Healthy


Jasmine's Quinoa Salad
This is less of a recipe, and more of an idea-starter.  :) I make this recipe whenever I don't really know what else to make for dinner or lunch! Quinoa is super healthy and packed with protein.
  • Quinoa (amount depends on how many people you're trying to feed) (I usually plan on about 1/4 c. uncooked, or 1/2 c. cooked, quinoa per person...so if you're wanting to feed 4 people you'll want 1 cup uncooked (or 2 cups cooked) quinoa
  • Raw veggies (you can use anything you like in your salads!) I usually use tomatoes, shredded carrots, cucumber, red pepper, and avocado (this is a must, yum!). Radishes, 
  • I usually add either green or red onion, sliced thin
  • Canned beans (for 2 c. cooked quinoa I add 1 can of beans), rinsed and drained. Again, whatever kind you like! Black, kidney, chick peas, pinto, I've even used black eyed peas!
  • Herbs. Fresh herbs give this a really fresh taste! I usually use parsley and/or cilantro.
  • Dressing. I usually make a balsamic vinaigrette and pour it over top. I don't really have a recipe for this, I just whisk together balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, a couple minced garlic cloves, salt, and pepper. Sometimes I add dijon mustard, agave/honey, and/or nutritional yeast. Here is a link to a good basic balsamic vinaigrette: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/balsamic-vinaigrette/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=balsamic%20vinaigrette&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Recipe.  If you're in a rush, you can also top this salad with your favorite bottled salad dressing (Italian is really good).
In case you don't know how to cook quinoa, you cook it just like rice. 1 part quinoa to 2 parts water (or broth) I just cook it in my rice cooker. When I'm making this salad, I'll usually cook the quinoa in vegetable broth to give it extra flavor, but water is just fine.

If anyone has any questions on quinoa, or you want more ideas on ways to cook it, let me know!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment